Sunday, January 22, 2012

What a Wildfire Looks Like

Potter Co. crews battle wildfire at Canadian River - KFDA - NewsChannel 10 / Amarillo News, Weather, Sports
The video shown in the link above was what the fire looked like last evening up towards the Canadian River.  Beautiful really, if it weren't so scary.  Today at 1 p.m. I saw several firetrucks and an ambulance going that way so I gather it is still burning.  I live near the edge of town half a block off the highway going towards the Canadian River (no, I am not any where near Canada, but in Texas) and this fire is probably 15 - 20 miles north of me....why I have a 72 hour kit for me and for the dogs.  Last year we had horrible wild fires that burned many homes in the rural areas around Amarillo, I think around 70 all together, and thousands of acres.  The fire in the video had burned over 1,000 acres yesterday evening.   One of the worst tragedies last Feb. was that a large kennel about 8 miles from me was destroyed by a wildfire.  Rescue personel tried to save the animals but at least 20 were lost in the fire.  As the fire was burning the building they opened the kennel doors to let the pets escape and a police officer carried out pets and filled his car with dogs but finally the fire overtook them and the rescuers had to get out before they could save all the dogs and cats.

No comments: