Thursday, December 1, 2011

You Know, It Just Isn't Necessary

I don't like ugly language.  I just don't.  Last night I finished reading Wicked Autumn by G. M. Malliet.  It was a good book.  I really enjoyed it, did not figure out who committed the murder (I like it when I can't), I can't say that the characters ever developed enough that you could relate or empathize with them too much but still, I would recommend it but....in several places the author felt the need to add the F word.  Why?  Really? Do ugly words ever "add" anything? Improve? Make it better? Uplift?  If I were reading a story that takes place in the middle of a fierce battle fight in a warn torn country, or a story full of abuse, drug lords, unsavory lifestyles I could see the use of that kind of language...I guess...I don't read those kinds of things.  By definition a "cozy mystery" is one that is not explicit, gory, or has that kind of language, and I heard about this title on a cozy mystery website so I didn't expect it.  That is the reason I love cozy mysteries, 99.9 % of the time I know what kind of material I will be reading---the kind I like and enjoy.  I hope this is not a new trend in literature that cozy mysteries are going the way of the world and including language that just doesn't add anything positive. 

1 comment:

Sparrow said...

I agree 100%! Bad language does not enhance a book one bit.