Thursday, December 1, 2011

Christmas books

      My first two suggestions are for adults.....The Modern Magi & A Stranger for Christmas...both slim little volumes by Carol Lynn Pearson but two of the best Christmas stories I have ever read.  When I worked at the library I kept them displayed on my desk to hand out. Otherwise, they were so small and slender they would have been overlooked---and in the library world overlooked books that never get checked out get weeded out (tossed).  My goal, and it always happened, was to keep those two books in patrons hands from Thanksgiving through December.  Other good ones for adults are The Christmas Jars by Jason Wright, Skipping Christmas by James Grisham, The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans, The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry, A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg,
        These are picture books for children
The Night Before Christmas (my favorite is Mary Engelbreit's)
Harvey Slumfenburger's Christmas Present
Santa's New Suit
The Gingerbread Doll
Too Many Tamales
The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
The Christmas Cookie Sprinkle Snitcher
   and a children's chapter book to read aloud.....The Worst Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson

No comments: