Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Help,,,the movie

We just finished watching The Help.  It has been 2 years since I read the book and I don't remember it exactly but I can tell you the book is always much better than the movie....and this was a really good movie.  I am glad they skirted around violence and didn't actually show it.  The movie takes place in the south in the 60's and deals with the mentality of the area in that time.  Southern men evidently took the Lord's name in vain often.  That was the only thing I didn't like about the movie.  I guess that is the way it was but I wish they had used other words.  I loved the actors that portrayed Minnie,  Octavia Spencer and Viola Davis who plays Aibileen.  This movie made me want to go to my son's home and hug my toddler granddaughter tight.  It made me want to call up my black friends and apologize for what their ancestors had to live through.  It made me want to applaud when Minnie takes a pie to a former employer and when she leaves her abusive husband.  It made me want to embrace women who feel left out and made to feel inferior and befriend them. It made me want to encourage everyone to follow their dreams.  it made me want to read the book again.  And, LOL, it made me really crave my momma's chocolate pie! 

1 comment:

Sparrow said...

I have resisted seeing this movie, afraid of violence. Love your review! Was the vet able to figure out what is happening with max and stop these seizures? {{{hugs}}}