Sunday, December 11, 2011

Poor Max; and 7 Layer Dip or burrito mixture, and my weird sense of humor

Well, scratch the grandsons are coming for 9 hours plans and a marathon of game playing at my house.  My daughter got her shift changed so she could be home with them...which is good because I don't want them to see Max today.  He had another go round of seizures last night.  One around 10:30, midnight and around 3 a.m.  We will be at the vet's when he opens on Monday.  It is scarey and traumatic for Max and for me.  He is very wobbly the few steps he will try to take so I carried him outside to do his calls of nature and that all seems to be working fine, and have him on a soft pillow by the heater vent.  I stayed up until about 4 a.m. holding him in my lap until he stopped breathing hard and seemed to want down so I am worn out today.  Casey is on her way over and we are going to watch The Help and eat 7 layer dip.  Surely you make 7 Layer Dip???  If not here is what you do:
1.  take a large can of refried beans and warm in a saucepan
pour into a dish...I suggest a 9 x 11 cake pan
top with:
2.   lots of shredded cheddar cheese
3.  a can of diced black olives
4.  a can of chopped green chilis
5.  salsa.....like Pace Picante sauce, homemade, or my favorite, a local brand Tascosa Picante Sauce
6.  guacamole
7.  sour cream
          layer those in any order you want but I like my cheese on top of the hot beans so it melts
serve with Tostitos Brand Scoops or any tortilla chip of your liking along with Dr Pepper to drink and that is just a pretty darn good meal.
     Actually I never layer this in a dish because one son doesn't like black olives or guacamole and my grandsons don't like sour cream so I just put all the ingredients on the counter, set out bowls and let everyone make their own dip like they want it.  I prefer guacamole made with fresh avacodos and one of those packet seasoning mixes that you can get at the grocery store but if avacodos are too expensive (I don't live where they are grown so they are trucked in and are often high or don't look all that good) I buy ready made guacamole.....it is in our produce section right by the lettuce at my store and the brand name is Wholly Guacamole all natural Classic.  While you are at the store buy some flour tortillas and use the leftover dip to make the world's best burritos.  If you have leftover taco meat you can add that to the mixture for your burritos.  I like onion in everything so I add diced onion to mine.
    Thinking about Dr Pepper.....twenty or thirty years ago I read this entry in Readers Digest Life in These United States column and it just tickled my funny bone.  I have a weird sense of humor I gather.  Sometimes something tickles my funny bone that doesn't seem to crack other people up that much.  The RD entry was a frazzled business woman who was in an unfamiliar part of the country for a meeting.  She went to a fast food place and ordered a meal.  The order taker asked what would she like for her drink and, not knowing what was offered in that part of the country...Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, Mr. Pibb etc so she asked for "any dark carbonated beverage".  When the employee...who obviously thought her request was humorous... handed her the drink he said "and here is a complimentary white paper cylinder sucking device."  (Yes, I remember when straws were made out of paper).  I know, I'm weird but that just cracked me up!  Even now, every time the lady at the Toot n Totum driveup window hands me my 44 oz Dr Pepper and what I see as my "red plastic cylinder sucking device" I smile!   :)  A couple of years ago the library got a new book...Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong by Jen Yates.  My daughter was driving us home and I was reading it in the car.  It not only tickled my funny bone...it shook it silly.  I laughed so hard I just roared, hiccuped, tears poured down my face.  I laughed so hard I was gasping for air in the middle of an asthma attack but I kept reading it out loud to her and laughing til my daughter told me "MOM! Put that book down right now before you die! We will have to put in your obituary that you laughed yourself into a deadly asthma attack!" I didn't put it down.  I just laughed, cried, gasped for air and enjoyed it.  I don't know why it struck me so funny but it did.  I bought a copy for my sister.  She thought some of the cakes were funny but she didn't laugh until she cried and gasped for air.  Months later I checked it out again and yep, it still struck me insanely funny.  I am just weird that way.  Did you laugh, cry, gasp for air, ROFLOL???

No comments: