Friday, July 8, 2011

Never Pay Retail

Post # 102

Little Gold Angel Ficus (ficus bejamina)
 My motto is never pay retail.  Everything is on sale, eventually.  Well, most things. My other motto is if you see something you absolutely love  and will honestly regret not buying and really really love it and can afford it then wait 24 hrs then go get it.  It might be one of those things that you never see again.  But those "I can not live without this thing" are few and far between, for me at least. Anyway, I have always wanted a ficus tree.  I have been raising houseplants for 39 years and never had one. Last week when I was checking out what Lowe's had on the plant clearance rack I found a little ficus! Nothing wrong with it, they were just getting rid of stuff (I suspect they want that space for Christmas items because, hello, this IS July) so I got it for 75% off of the clearance price....50 cents!!!!!  When I left the store I thought I paid a dollar for it but I just now checked to make sure I wasn't telling you a story and I discovered I didn't pay more than 50 cents for anything.  I love moss rose and it was a dime!  I loveee plant clearance racks.  When I  can find something around the house to use to make a pebble tray I will set the plant on that.....a tray with pebbles to keep the plant above water and water to provide humidity..... but until then I have the little pot sitting in a plastic bag and both sitting inside this little cardboard box that I got at an estate sale, probably paid a quarter for it.  It looks sorta like a hat box and I always wanted hat boxes.  You would never know it because at home no one has ever seen me out of a t-shirt and jeans or shorts, and I never dressed up for work, but I think I should have been born at the time when ladies wore gloves and hats and pearls.  Driving Miss Daisy type lady, with a closet full of hat boxes with hats in them. On second thought, I would rather have my air conditioning, microwave, digital camera and internet life.

No comments: