Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween 2011, or I hate scary things

Post # 195
Tonight I made the soft pumpkin cookies I listed a couple of posts ago.  They are NOT real sweet cookies....I wish I had posted that because I am afraid someone might have made them and did not like them.  It is perfectly fine to say what you think.  I am just paranoid that way...and if you made them and did not like them please say so before someone else makes them!  My family likes them because they are soft, spicy and "breadlike" for lack of a better word.  As I said, I used to drizzle a powdered sugar frosting over them but we prefer them not so sweet.  SO .... here are pics....they are not just the prettiest cookies either.  The dough is very stiff.  My oven has next worked properly so I just bake them until they look "right" and the bottoms are browned....you do not want to overbake. 
 This is what they look like baked. 
I heard that my niece made the pumpkin snickerdoodle recipes from the link I provided and they liked them real well.    I did absolutely nothing for Halloween this year.  Actually, I haven't in years.  I hate Halloween.  One year ...back in the '80's, a mom was murdered in our town directly after leaving a school halloween fair.  Our schools have not done Halloween parties since then.  My dad died of a heart attack on Halloween one year.  A few years after that my mom got really scared when she was alone on Halloween and several adults that were dressed up came to her door trick or treating.  Halloween just no longer was fun.  Halloween does not have good memories for me.  Well, some. When my kids were little I dressed them up and took them to places.  I have a huge rubbermaid tub full of photos from my children's childhood.  My goal this winter is to go through that tub and scan all those pics.  I dug for about 5 minutes trying to find a particular halloween photo that I wanted to share.  I did not find it before I decided to quit looking but I did find these....About 27 years ago, and 65 pounds ago, I grew enough pumpkins for every child in my daughter's preschool class to have one.  That was a real fun time of my life.



My son in the red fireman hat will be 26 in a couple of weeks.
 

My daughter in the witch costume now has 2 boys, 9 and 11


No comments: