Thursday, May 27, 2010

Square Foot Gardening








Post #1
My first post! One of the reasons I wanted to buy a house...and willing to live in a manufactured home (i.e.trailer house, what I could afford) in tornado alley was so I could start with a blank lot and chose the most perfect location for a garden. I have wanted a garden for a long time and grew as many things as I could on my apartment patio. Once I came home with some kind of plant and my son commented "well there goes the last square inch on the patio." Now I have a fenced in 20' x 30' garden! I have read Mel Bartholomew's book All New Square Foot Gardening at least three times and May 2nd became the proud owner of four 4' x 4' square foot garden boxes. Let me tell you...this type of gardening is addictive! Last night my son and my daughter unloaded lumber for me to create 4 more boxes ... a 4' x 4', a 4' x 12', and two boxes 2' x 12'. I have tomatoes, peppers, squash, eggplant, onions, carrots, okra, cauliflower, sugar snap peas, turnips and green beans planted in my first 4 boxes. I am impatiently waiting for them to grow into big, lush plants loaded with veggies!

No comments: